Saturday, December 10, 2016

Getting to Know the In-Laws

This week, studying about the transition into marriage that brings along in-law relationships was really interesting for me. Having only been married for a little over five months myself, my relationships with my in-laws are still brand new. Building those relationships has really been a challenge for me. I am not good at building relationships through technology - phone calls and text messages and such - and my husband's family lives in Maryland. We live in Idaho. Hence my dilemma. I am a little envious of my husband's relationship with my family - they all live here in Rexburg or the surrounding area and Chris has gotten a lot of face-time with all of them. He isn't a stranger in my parent's home and interacts with my family very naturally. It has not been so easy for me. 
So, when in-laws came up as the topic this week I was excited to see what our material said about building those relationships. I really want to have strong relationships with my in-laws and do believe I can get there eventually, but it will require some stepping out of my comfort zone! For Christmas this year we are flying back east to celebrate the holiday with my husband's family and I am excited for the opportunity for some in-person interaction. I know, personally, I build relationships more easily that way. I have also been taking a class in Spanish this semester - my mother-in-law is Dominican and she does speak English really well but their whole family tends to switch in and out of both languages throughout all their conversations. Learning to speak Spanish has been a real challenge for me. I would not say that I am gifted with languages at all, but I think the hard work will pay off and help me feel more like part of the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment